Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Module 8


Megan Flinders

Module 8

Personal Computer Education Essay

 

            My relevant story about how computers have been used in my education starts many years ago.  My husband, prior to starting his MBA, purchased a new laptop.  We opted to stay with Windows XP instead of the new Windows 7 due to some unfavorable reviews on the new software.  We had Microsoft 2003 as 2007 hadn’t quite been released.  This Toshiba laptop was perfect.  While my husband used it for class, we also used it as our home computer storing large amounts of music, video, and photos on the hard drive.  Several years later, which happened to be when I decided to go back to school, we decided it would be a good idea to get a desktop computer to go along with the laptop.  The laptop’s memory was about full, Windows XP had since been several times updated to the new Windows 8, the Microsoft Office package we were using was now severely outdated with formats somewhat incompatible for my studies, and our iPad just wouldn’t meet all of my needs.  With all of the factors in place, off we went to buy the home computer. 

As my first week of courses began, I was still using our laptop to check out my courses on the online Canvas system.  Most of my courses were held at the University, however, they also included an online component.  It would be necessary that I had an internet connection at home to be able to perform research for my classes, write papers, and submit everyday assignments.  Study guides and exam prep were also included on the Canvas system which made it a go to program on a daily basis.  And most importantly, most of my assignments were to be submitted online.  Here alone shows how instrumental computers were to be in my education.  To not be able to access Canvas through a working computer and internet connection would be devastating.  Thus the stage was set for the perfect digital failure.

It all began when our new, supposedly up to date computer (which had Microsoft 2013, Windows 8.1, and several bells and whistles) began to throw up all sorts of pop-ups and indications a virus was present.  I was in the middle of trying to save a paper I had just written, which happened to be due that night, when the computer stated my C: drive was corrupted.  I couldn’t save, exit, and continue with Microsoft Word.  I reset my computer and it wouldn’t start back up.  All the while, in my panicked state, I tried to fire up the dusty laptop.  Sorry, after waiting for 10 precious minutes for the dinosaur to turn on, it prompted me that the memory was full.  Therefore, I couldn’t use the laptop.  Since I was too far away from the University, library, or any other source I could think of, I was relegated to try and remember what I had written in my essay and finger peck away on the iPad.  I typed prodigiously until I had somewhat of an assignment completed and turned it in to my teacher.  I think I spent as much time writing an explanation to what had happened, as I did on the paper.  What a horrible experience with the use of technology which has left a lasting impression on me.  I have definitely learned from that experience what I could have done differently and hopefully won’t have to experience something like that again.

Suffice it to say that computers have played, and continue to impact, a huge part of my education.  All of my classes this semester are through the Canvas system.  Without the ability to use a computer from the comfort of my home, or even the convenience of the library, I would be forced to hand write, and physically turn in my assignments.  Computers have increased the efficiency and over experience in getting an education and will continue to do so throughout my college years.

No comments:

Post a Comment